THINK IN THE BOX
LENTIL SHEPHERD'S PIE
Warm? Savory? Delicious? Check, check and check!
This classic dish is relatively simple to make and is sure to warm up your stomach.
Follow along to make your very own Lentil Shepherd's Pie.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tbsp tomato paste
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups of lentils
4 cups of vegetable stock
4 tsp of thyme
1 10 oz bag of frozen mixed vegetables
3 pounds of yukon gold potatoes
3-4 tbsp of butter
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1. Slice the potatoes in half. Place in a large pot and fill with water until they are just barely covered. Add salt, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
4. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
5. Add tomato paste, soy sauce and a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 425 and grease a 9x 13 baking dish.
3. After the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and move the potatoes to a mixing bowl. Use a masher to mash the potatoes. Add 4 tbsp of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside.
6. Then add lentils, vegetable or chicken stock and thyme. Bring to a low boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmmer. Cook for about 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
7. In the last t 10 minutes of cooking, add frozen veggies, stir and cover.
8. Take the filling from the skillet and put into a baking dish. Carefully put the mashed potatoes on top. Smooth down the potatoes with a spoon, season with salt and pepper and salt to taste.
8. Place on a baking sheet for overflow and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the mashed potatoes are slightly brown.