think in the box
Got an hour? Got an appetite for pasta? Then this dish will be an instant hit in your household!
This lentil bolognese is a simple recipe that will feed a large family or keep you fed for days.
Follow this Think in the Box recipe to create your very own! Don't forget, all ingredients can be found right here at the Hunger and Heath Coalition.
1 box of pasta
2 1/2 cups of yellow onion
1 cup of white mushrooms
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
pinch of salt and pepper
14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
24 oz pasta sauce
1 cup of lentils
2 cups of water
1. You will need two separate pots, one to cook the pasta and the other to cook the marinara sauce.
2. In one of the pots add olive oil, onions, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, red pepper, salt and pepper. Saute in the pot for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and lentils. Stir to combine. Place the lid on the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
4. Once at a boil, reduce to a simmer so the marinara thickens, around 18-25 minutes.
5. As the sauce is simmering, bring your other pot of water to a boil and drop in the pasta.
6. Once the noodles are soft and the marinara sauce has thickened, plate your pasta with fresh oregano on top!